Ritual and archiecture

William Douglas william at sattvajala.org
Thu Apr 17 14:23:15 UTC 1997

>Hi everybody,
>
>I am looking for research/ studies relating to ritual in
>traditional Indian Architecture and find out if ritual has any significant
>relation to mandalas as archiectural devices

I suggest you look at some of the studies of Newar urban space and ritual.
The Newars make much of various spatial orientations of their valley, and
quite explicitly articulate their rituals within that geometry. A good
place to start is
Gutschow, N., and Kilver, B. 1975 _Ordered Space, Concepts and Functions in
a Town in Nepal.
Even more fun, but in German:
Gutschow, N. 1982 _Stadtraum und Ritual der Newarischen Stadte im Kathmandu-tal

Hope this helps.

-wbd.

William Douglas       		Wolfson College &
+44 1865 310 759      	Oriental Institute,
<william at sattvajala.org>	Oxford.