Ritual and archiecture

Peter Granda peterg at icpsr.umich.edu
Thu Apr 17 13:37:18 UTC 1997

At 04:54 PM 4/17/97 BST, you wrote:
>At 03:51 AM 4/17/97 BST, you wrote:
>>
>>Hi everybody,
>>
>>I am looking for research/ studies relating to ritual in
>>traditional Indian Architecture and find out if ritual has any significant
>>relation to mandalas as archiectural devices
>>
>>Also, I cannot locate a study of ancient town of Vijayanagara by John Fritz
>>and George Michell, It deals with urban morphology and rituals in the city

Might you mean:

 Title:          City of victory, Vijayanagara : the medieval Hindu capital of
                   southern India / photographs by John Gollings ; essay and
                   site descriptions by John M. Fritz and George Michell.

 Published:      New York, N.Y. : Aperture : Distributed in the United States
                   by Farrar, Straus and Giroux, c1991.

Michell also has a later work that may be of some interest:

 Title:          Architecture and art of southern India : Vijayanagara and the
                   successor states / George Michell.

 Published:      Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1995.
 Series:         The new Cambridge history of India ; I, 6

Peter Granda
University of Michigan