Melleny

sarin at erols.com sarin at erols.com
Wed Apr 16 11:14:07 UTC 1997

>I read once that while Sikh males always have typical Sikh names, that is
>not always so with women, since "Hindu" (VERY big scare-quotes!!) girls'
>names are perceived as more "feminine". Is anyone of you able to
>confirm/refute this? It's interesting because many European languages also
>seem to be more open to foreign female names than to foreign male names.
>
>BPJ

  I've noticed that many Sikh names are almost entirely interchangeable
between men and women, the only difference being the Singh or Kaur after
the name.  Interestingly, Inder is a pervasive suffix: Mahinder, Rajinder,
Bhupinder, etc.  A reference to the martial qualities of Indra, the god of
storms, I suppose.  If that is the case, then Punjab is the only place
where this Vedic deity is so regularly refered to in everyday life today!

Amita Sarin