languages (question) (was Re: pronunciation of Sanskrit)

jacob.baltuch at infoboard.be jacob.baltuch at infoboard.be
Sun Apr 13 15:25:32 UTC 1997

Correct me if I'm wrong: I've heared English is still widely used
at the official level because Hindi's not acceptable to the southern
states. Now I do understand how this implies Hindi alone would not
be acceptable, but I don't think I'm able to follow the implication
this makes English indispensable. Is there no combination of 2 or 3
or even 4 languages which as Union languages would be acceptable to
all? Could anyone explain this to me a bit more clearly?