VYAKARAN: Re: Classical Sanskrit Accent

bpj at netg.se bpj at netg.se
Sun Apr 6 14:34:27 UTC 1997

This question of Sanskrit accents in different parts of India rises the
question what model a western student should adopt: a theoretical
"scientifically reconstructed" accent -- more or less that of P^a.nini i.e.
--, the modern Indian accent closest to this ideal (Maharashtra?), the
accent of their Indic teacher, or allow for a greater degree of influence
from their _western_ substrate languages?

The latter was AFAIK the rule among western scholars a generation or so
back, and given the fact that Sanskrit is for us mainly a _read_ language,
it may have some justification, as long as students are aware of the fact
and the manner that their pronunciation differs from that of P^a.nini and
of modern Indians -- especially the latter is often lacking. Admittedly
this would give a variation of pronunciation across Europe no less than
across India. I as a Swede have no trouble distinguishing retroflex and
dental sounds (Swedish, and Norwegian, even has a distinction between
palatal, retroflex and dental sibilants!), while vowel length is a crux --
in Swedish vowel length is correlated with stress, so that I tend to stress
every long vowel, with a main stress falling on the last one of a word even
if it is final, since the quantity of the last syllable often carries
important grammatical information. A Swede will also pronounce anusv^ara as
[N] (velar nasal!) and visarga as [x]. By contrast a Finn will have no
problem with quantity or visarga, but their language contains only one
sibilant, no voicing distinction,  only one series of apicals and has
severe restrictions on consonant clusters -- incidentally Finnish differs
from other European languages much the same way Tamil differs from IA
languages! English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Russian, Polish,
Czech, etc. would each present its own modification/deviation from a
P^a.ninian standard. Aspiration is of course a problem for almost ALL
Europeans!

My question is: given the variation that is a fact of life in India (not to
mention Tibetan -- vajra -> /bendzra/! -- or Thai pronunciation of
Sanskrit), is it REALLY worth the while to try to impose an elusive
standard of "correctness" on western students (unless they be
phoneticians)? Isn't it better to aim at "local" pronunciation standards
that still allow for good scansion of verse and hilights grammatically
important contrasts like final long vowels? The phonetician and the
pedagogue (sp?) in me have fought their battles over this...

How, btw, do Anglophones pronounce visarga? Does "du.hka" come out as
/dUhUka/, as /dUxka/ or as P^aliesque /dUkha/? I guess it would vary.

And how do Francophones and other Romance speakers handle /h/ and /.h/?

Regards,

Philip Jonsson <bpj at netg.se>  (aka "V^ag^i;svara/Ngaq-dbang" :-)