Rig Veda, ta'ntra, nUl, and sUtra

Srinivasan Pichumani srini at engin.umich.edu
Fri Apr 4 06:58:05 UTC 1997

	> As for a Skt. term for "world-wide web", perhaps Rta'sya ta'ntu
	> is as good as any. ;-)

	In a private email conversation, Prof. Aklujkar suggested to me
	the term, "viSva-vyApI-vitAna" - for a similar alliterative effect
	as in English. vitAna (extension) has the connotation of stretching
	out too.

	Isn't there a language-czar somewhere in an Indian govt. office whose
	job is to coin such terms for use in Hindi? I wonder what they have
	come up with.

	S. Vidyasankar

Although this sounds neither alliterative nor fancy,  how about
this Tamil term

		ulagam-cUzh-oTTaDai

;-)

-Srini.