Rig Veda, ta'ntra, nUl, and sUtra

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at cco.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 4 01:40:57 UTC 1997

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, George Thompson wrote:

[..]

> As for a Skt. term for "world-wide web", perhaps Rta'sya ta'ntu is as good
> as any. ;-)

In a private email conversation, Prof. Aklujkar suggested to me the term,
"viSva-vyApI-vitAna" - for a similar alliterative effect as in English.
vitAna (extension) has the connotation of stretching out too.

Isn't there a language-czar somewhere in an Indian govt. office whose job
is to coin such terms for use in Hindi? I wonder what they have come up
with.

S. Vidyasankar