Q: Sanskrit Alphabetical Order

thompson at jlc.net thompson at jlc.net
Wed Sep 11 11:35:30 UTC 1996

>This is probably not fully correct as the Dravidian influence on
>Sanskrit was felt much earlier on than the first grammatical works in
>it.  The most conspicuous pointer to it is the presence of retroflex
>stops in Sanskrit which is not found in other IE languages, but is
>found in Dravidian.
>
>-&

I think that the context shows that I was referring to grammatical
traditions, not languages.  An important distinction.  My impression is
that Ganesan wanted to know where the tradition of grammatical analysis
came from, *not* where retroflexes came from.  As for the latter, I think
that H.H. Hock has shown that it is not at all obvious that they came into
Skt. from Dravidian.

GT