Baffled by the BSR

Hueckstedt hueckst at cc.UManitoba.CA
Thu Oct 17 01:16:33 UTC 1996

I hate to admit it, but I am at wits end with a passage in Hari Diksita's
_B.rhacchabdaratna_. It is on _iko ya.n aci_, my old friend, but I can't
figure out the following passage. It begins with a short objection. Then
there's a short reply to that objection. Remember that the _BSR_ is a
commentary on the _Prau.dhamanoramA_ of Bha.t.toji DIk.sita. I will be
grateful for any hints or suggestions. I am using the BHU edition, 1964,
edited by Sitaram Shastri. If you have that text handy, you'll find the
passage beginning on the last line of p 84. Here's the text:

yattu hrasvekArAdInA.m tadvAcyatvena yugapad v.rttidvayavirodha iti|
tanna| ga"ngAyA.m mInagho.sau sta ityAdau tada"ngIkArAt, hrasvAnA.m
tadvAcyavAcyatvena lak.syatAvacchedakAkrAntatvAt| ata eva gha.tI
bhavatItyAdAv Ittvam|

k.rtaj~natayA saha,
Bob Hueckstedt

Robert A. Hueckstedt, Associate Professor of Indic Languages
Asian Studies Centre, 328 Fletcher Argue, University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2 Canada
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/asian_studies
fax 1 204-275-5781 phones 1 204-474-8964, 1 204-488-4797