Reconstructing South Indian History

Jan Filipsky filipsky at site.cas.cz
Wed Oct 16 13:24:20 UTC 1996

CALL FOR PAPERS - SECOND CIRCULAR
Dear Netters,
my first request for contributions to the special thematic volume of the
Indo-British Review - A Journal of History, published by the Indo-British
Historical Society in Madras, with the working title "Reconstructing South
Indian History" I am guest-editing, publicized here in March last evoked
encouraging response from scholars interested in South Indian (Dravidian)
studies and I was able to collect some interesting papers on Nolamba
political history, on the early history and archaeology of the Deccan, on
the Enigmatic History of Cults and Sects at Srisailam and on the Oral
Historiography of the Tamils (my own). There is, however, still some space
left waiting for your insightful inquiries into the political or social
history of Southern India, Dravidian linguistics, literary history or
history of religion. I would like your original research papers to
concentrate on lesser known, even obscure aspects of SI history, which have
something relevant to say about the topic at hand, viz. to contribute
towards reconstructing the history (both early and modern) of
Andhrapradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. I would appreciate any
contributions and suggestions. The papers not exceeding 20-25 pages should
reach me as early as possible, but not later than by the end of November,
preferably by e-mail, or by s-mail on a floppy disc in a PC compatible
format (Word Perfect, MS Word and the like) together with a hard copy
showing the necessary diacritics. (I am afraid we do not go in for Mac too
much down here!) We have the appropriate fonts at our disposal enabling us
to transliterate any Indian language and to use the Devanagari (both Hindi
and Sanskrit) as well as the Tamil script.
Looking forward to your response,
I remain, sincerely Yours, Jan Filipsky

Jan Filipsky, Oriental Institute, Pod vodarenskou vezi 4,
182 08 Praha 8
Phone: 00422/6605 3729
Private: U Pentlovky 466/7, 181 00 Praha 8
Phone: 00422/855 74 53