Agastya

F. Smith fsmith at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Thu Oct 10 13:20:43 UTC 1996

I have been reading a Skt text called Vrataraaja with a student. This
text is filled with astrological and astronomical references that
occasionally stump me completely. One is agastya. MW defines this as
Canopus. If only I knew what and where Canopus is in the sky! As the name
indicates, it seems to be a southern star, one that is visible from
Kaarttika maasa to Vai.saakha. In spite of that, I suspect it might be a
star in a raa'si or a nak.satra, if for no other reason than because
these were the usual templates through which classical India viewed the
sky. Any help out there?

Fred Smith
University of Iowa