Q: Proto-Siva

mrabe at artic.edu mrabe at artic.edu
Tue Nov 19 11:52:12 UTC 1996

>   Q: Proto-Siva
>   **************
>
>I read in many books on Hinduism that Siva is a late-comer to the
>Hindu Pantheon. Initially, he was not invited for Yagnas, or
>given sacrificial offerings. The Daksha myth alludes to that.
>Any references on Siva, his origins as a non-vedic deity
>and eventual absorption into Hinduism. A. Hiltebeitel
>wrote a paper on Indus seal, I think.
>
>N. Ganesan
>nas_ng at lms420.jsc.nasa.gov

Hiltebeitel, Alf. "The Indus Valley 'Proto-Siva', Reexamined through
Reflections on the Goddess, the Buffalo, and the Symbolism of Va-hanas."
Anthropos 73:5-6 (1978):767-97

Ganesan, if you have purchased a copy of the following yet, I personally
guarantee that it will warm the cockles of your heart!

Parpola, Asko, Deciphering the Indus script (Cambridge Univer Press,1994)

M. Rabe