Q: IOL catalog

Gary J Hausman gjh8 at columbia.edu
Fri Nov 15 16:42:07 UTC 1996

Dear Ganesan,

	I don't know whether this stuff is either online or in print, but
I can give you bibliographial references for those catalogs that I read
through during a visit to Orbit House in 1992:

1) A Catalogue of the Tamil Books in the Library of the British Museum,
Compiled by L. D. Barnett & G. O. Pope, 1909.

2) A Supplementary Catalogue of the Tamil Books in the Library of the
British Museum, Compiled by L. D. Barnett, 1931.

3) Second Supplementary Catalogue of Tamil Books in the British Library
Department of Oriental Manuscripts and Printed Books by Albertine Guar,
The British Library, 1980.

	There was also a catalogue consisting of xeroxes of file cards
relating to Tamil books and, since I was concentrating on printed texts, I
did not check out unpublished manuscripts. I suspect there is probably
material in private collections there also.

			Gary Hausman
			Columbia University