CD-ROMs on India (was Re: Video library)

Inst. Of Asian Cultures asia at server.uwindsor.ca
Wed Nov 13 00:26:07 UTC 1996

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, B. Reusch wrote:

> I'm trying to build up an educational video library and wish to include
> materials on the ancient history of China, Central Asia, West Asia, South
> Asia, the Huns, the Hittites, etc. etc.
> Could some one help me please with sources and general advice?
> Thank you so much.
> Regards,
> Beatrice

--------------------------------
Dear Beatrice,

When you talk about 'video' library, I hope you are not excluding
multimedia, e.g., CD-Roms. There are perhaps many more CD-ROMs on India
than I know. Perhaps the following may be of interest to you:

1. India Mystics Multimedia CDROM
2. An encyclopedia of the traditions, customs and religion of India (in
rich multimedia).

The producers of these resources (Acom Information Services, P.O.Box 420,
Easton, CT - 06612; http://www/acornis.com  say you can "see a video of a
Hindu wedding...
Hear Vesudas sing the Gayatri Mantra... Listen and view the story of
Ganesha..." etc. (From the Advert) email: india at acornis.com for further
information.

3. Magic Software of New Delhi are the producers (vide a news item in
_India Abroad_ (July 12, 1996, p. 30).

4. SarlSoft (P.O. Box 3671, Santa Clara, CA 95065; Tel: 408-244-8110)
have also advertised several items that may be of interest to computer
users. One of them is GYANA (Multimedia introduction to India on CD-ROM)
vide _India Abroad_ May 5, 1995.

5. An introduction to Bengali culture and history (_Banga Parichaya_) has
been produced by Dr. Gautum Sengupta (_India Abroad_ July 26, 1996, p. 35).

I am sure other indologists will be able to add many more titles to this
meagre list. I do not know how 'good' or reliable are the sources that I
have referred to since I have not tried them. Perhaps someone who is more
familiar with these sources can comment on this aspect.

Sushil Jain