no chair of Sanskrit in London

tatelman at total.net tatelman at total.net
Mon Nov 11 15:41:06 UTC 1996

I'm afraid that the practice of not replacing retiring professors (I use
the term in the generic N. American sense) of Sanskrit is well-established
in Canada. This extends to anything to do with pre-modern India. I know of
at least five positions in Indology and Buddhist studies which have ceased
to exist in the past five years. Less than inspiring, especially for one
such as myself who just completed a doctorate in a related subject, but,
ladies and gentlemen, it seems that we're not contributing, either directly
or otherwise, to the gross domestic product of our respective
nation-states...

Joel.

Joel Tatelman
#2-293A Roncesvalles Ave.,