pari w/acc = towards?

Vidhyanath Rao vidynath at math.ohio-state.edu
Fri Nov 8 01:16:13 UTC 1996

I am trying to find an example (with context) where pari is used a
Karmapravacaniiya with accusative meaning `towards'.

Almost all dictionaries I consulted (Shorter St. Peterburg,
Monier-Williams, Mcdonnel, Apte, Surya Kanta) state that `pari' used with
accusative means `towards'. But none of them cite any example where
the context requires this meaning.

Monier-Williams refers to the Paninean sutra `lak.sa.netthambhuuta...'
to support this meaning. I have a problem with this: If valid, `lak.sa.na'
should mean `towards' even for `anu' mentioned in this sutra. But
`anur lak.sa.ne' presumably assigns the meaning `after' to anu. Then the
seperate mention of `anur la.k.sa.ne' can be justified simply by refering
to the different meanings. Yet Patanjali (and by implication, Katyayana)
does not do so, preferring instead to argue that without the double
mention, `hetau [tritiiyaa]' would override `karmapravacaniiyayukte
[dvitiiyaa]'. This, to me, sugests that `lak.sa.na' must be taken in
its general sense. Hence my question.

P.S. `pari' can be given its etymological sense of `bypassing'/`beyond'
in several instances (paryadhyayana/paribhuu/divasas pari etc).
It is `towards' (like `prati' or `abhi') that I find surprising.

Thanks in advance
-Nath