Images of India and Indians... Addendum

Sushil Jain sushjain at enoreo.on.ca
Tue May 28 01:28:49 UTC 1996

Since some of you have shown interest and appraciation in my
earlier posting, and to those who have asked for further
infomration on the subject, I post herewith some more references,
not only in school textbooks but also in other print media, that
you may wish to consult for writing an article/paper on 'Images
of Stereotypes of India and Indians'. I may have missed some
publications due to my neglect of this subject for the past
several years. If it is the case please do post your findings to
the list.
-------------------------------------

Images and Stereotypes - Addendum

Bearce, George, British Attitudes towards India, 1784-1858,
Oxford University Press, 1961.

Crane, Robert. 'The development of the American view of India as
seen in certain religious periodicals published in the United
States, 1887-1931' Thesis, American University, Washington, 1943.

Deodhar, Shyama. 'The treatment of India in American Social
Studies textbooks' Thesis, UofMichigan, 1954.

Gokhale, Balkrishna G. (ed) Images of India. Wake Forest
University, 1971.

Greenberger, Allen J. The British Image of India: A study of the
literature of imperialism, 1880-1960. London: OUP, 1969.

Jones, Dorothy. The Portrayal of China and India on the American
Screen, 1896-1955. MIT, 1955.

Lach, Donald. India in the Eyes of Europe: the Sixteenth Century.
Chicago, Univ. of Chicago Press, 1968.

Naik, M. K. et al (eds). The Image of India in Western Creative
Writing. Karnatak University, 1971.

Schramm, Richard. The Image of india in selected American
Literary Periodicals, 1870-1900. Published in 1964.

Stern, Bernard. American Views of India and Indians, 1857-1900.
Thesis, UofPenn, 1956.

Thomas, Wendell. Hinduism Invades America. New York, 1930.

Some Childrens' book of interest, depicting snakecharmers,
tigers, maharajas etc.