etymology in the Sanskrit tradition

JHOUBEN at rullet.LeidenUniv.nl JHOUBEN at rullet.LeidenUniv.nl
Tue May 21 15:17:23 UTC 1996

Dear readers of the list,

An important point which is disregarded in the recent Indology-forum discussion
on ETYMOLOGIES in the Sanskrit tradition is that there are quite divergent
attitudes towards these within this tradition itself.
   While I wonder whether the contrast between pre-Paninian (Niruktian) and
post-Paninian is as strong as Wujastyk suggested (Thieme and Bronkhorst suggest
that Yaska was really post-Paninian), there is a very clear and important
contrast between etymologies provided in the Nirukta (which continues a trend
started in the Brahmanas) and the attitude of the Mimamsakas towards
etymologies.
   The etymologies provided in the Nirukta and the Brahmanas may be called
"hermeneutic etymologies", serving to explain texts (including mantras) and
rituals without any historical-linguistic claims. The use of "hermeneutic
etymologies" as a literary/exegetic device is a near universal phenomenon in
literary and oral traditions in the world. This term can be suggested to
distinguish these clearly from the "linguistic (/historical) etymologies" of
comparative and historical linguistics, which are practically absent in earlier
traditions. Even if there is sometimes an overlap with linguistic etymologies,
hermeneutic etymologies cannot count as such because they are pronounced in an
entirely different context of intellectual and cultural aims and
presuppositions. The term <<hermeneutic etymology>> is not new, it has been
used by P. Verhagen (context: Sanskrit in Tibet) and T. Goudriaan (context:
Tantric etymologies) and probably by others.
   While texts like the Brahmanas claim that their <<hermeneutic etymologies>>
reveal a <<hidden truth>>, they belong merely to the arthavaadas
(<<recommendations>>) according to the Mimamsakas, for whom they do not have a
strong truth claim as they are subordinate to the vidhis (positive and
negative) or injunctions. For Mimamsa the literal meaning of words and
sentences in the Vedic literature is generally to be preferred to any indirect
meaning which might be attributed to it.

On etymologies in India see recently: Max Deeg, Die altindische Etymologie nach
dem Verstaendnis Yaaska's und seiner Vorgaenger, Verlag J.H. Roell, 1995, who
overemphasizes in my view <<magical>> aspects of the etymologies. The author's
collection of pre-Yaaska etymologies is useful, and I like his references to
the importance of <<etymologies>> in the work of modern thinkers like
Heidegger. I would also like to refer to a forthcoming publication of myself, a
contribution to The Emergence of Semantics in Four Literary Traditions,
publisher: J. Benjamins. My own contribution deals with semantics in the
Sanskrit tradition, three other contributions deal with the Greek, Arabic and
Hebrew tradition. In all four traditions etymologies play an important role
(though we do not use this term in the book, they are in fact all <<hermeneutic
etymologies>>).

Jan E.M. Houben,
Research Fellow,
International Institute for Asian Studies,
P.O. Box 9515, 2300 RA   Leiden, NL.
(e-mail: jhouben at RULLET.LeidenUniv.NL)

>The kind of etymologizing above that Girish suggests is fanciful is
>characteristic of pre-Paninian thinking, especially in Yaska's Nirukta.

and Madhav Deshpande << Such linguistically fanciful etymologies are critical
for our understanding of the
synchronic comprehension of those terms and concepts by the respective
communities>>

and Swami Gitananda asked for a better term to replace <<etymology>>

etc.