'Fanciful' etymologies (was re. dating)

MDSAAA48 at giasmd01.vsnl.net.in MDSAAA48 at giasmd01.vsnl.net.in
Tue May 21 09:23:05 UTC 1996

Dear Indology members,

Followint this thread of discussion, may I raise a query on Yaska?

Are there any works which explain WHY Yaska indulged in what appear to us
today (at this distance in time) to be 'fanciful' etymologies?

Niruktam was deemed to be a vEdAnga, an important part of the curriculum.

Why would Yaska mislead with 'folk' or 'syllabic' extravaganzas?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Kalyanaraman