Maharashtra History between 800-1300 AD

Peter D Banos pdb1 at columbia.edu
Mon May 20 01:28:37 UTC 1996

On Mon, 20 May 1996, Bapat Jb wrote:

> 1) The birth of Marathi language: Did it actually come from Kannada
> or does it have a different and distinct philological origin?

Marathi from Kannada? I've never heard that one before. Influences and
borrowings from Kannada, certainly; but by all the criteria of
historical/comparative linguistics Marathi is clearly Indo-Aryan, thus
derived from  something very similar to Sanskrit. The only
controversy I know of is about whether Maharashtri Prakrit is in the
direct line from OIA to Marathi.

						-Peter D. Banos
						pdb1 at columbia.edu