Dating

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun May 19 11:41:10 UTC 1996

	It is true that there are a lot of pre-Paninian fanciful
etymologies and that the Paninian tradition attempted to bring some
methodological sophistication.  However, we should not brush aside
'fanciful' etymologies, except when they are offered as jokes.  For
example, the Prakrit word 'arihanta' is indeed accountable as a transform
of Skt. arhant with an epenthetic vowel.  However, the Jains and the
Buddhists interpreted, in all seriousness, this word as ari+hanta
"destroyer of enemies", where these enemies are the unwholesome states of
mind, etc.  Such linguistically fanciful etymologies are critical for our
understanding of the synchronic comprehension of those terms and concepts
by the respective communities.  Similarly, while the historical origins
of the name Hindu is clearly connected with the river Sindhu, and the
Persian pronunciation of this name, one need not throw out the midieval
etymology of the word 'hindu' with 'himsaam duuzayati'.  Such an
etymology reflects what is seen by large segments of Hindus as a
prominent feature of their religious identity.
	Madhav Deshpande