H-ASIA: Term for opium query (fwd)

carolyn-b-brown at uiowa.edu carolyn-b-brown at uiowa.edu
Thu May 16 17:56:40 UTC 1996

>Colleagues:
>
>I forward herewith a query to H-ASIA which I think might also find
>
>Frank Conlon

You might want to explore other Indian languages before assuming that
chandu must be a borrowing from Chinese (a quick but inexpert dictionary
search suggests it isn't). Although this doesn't in itself get you nearer
to determining the etymologtical root, in Bengali chantu (caNtu) is an
intoxicating preparation made from opium; opium itself is called aphim
(aaphim).

Carolyn Brown
International Writing Program
University of Iowa