Reference question (Was: Filliozat)

jonathan.silk at wmich.edu jonathan.silk at wmich.edu
Thu May 16 15:47:24 UTC 1996

To be as brief as possible:  There was *someone* named Ramagupta, whose name
is recorded on coins and a few inscriptions.  The connection of this person
with the (that is, *the*) Guptas is uncertain.  So, it depends on what you
mean by the "historicity of Ramagupta."  Yes, there was someone of that name,
no question.  Who was he?  We don't know.
-- Further discussion (by me) on this topic will have to wait until I have a
chance to pick up the study again.  (But I confess, I am encouraged by the
apparent interest in the question.)

Jonathan