[Q] bholantikaa, tailapaayin

B. Hatcher bhatcher at titan.iwu.edu
Tue May 14 17:14:20 UTC 1996

On tailapaka, etc., see Manu 12.63, where Kullukabhatta glosses tailapaka
as:  tailapaayikaakhyah pak.sii.

Brian Hatcher
Illinois Wesleyan University

Date: 14 May 1996 19:08:00 +0100
From: indology-l at pwyz.rhein.de (Peter Wyzlic)
Subject: Re: [Q] bholantikaa, tailapaayin

Hello,

In your
message: <960514124609.17C-100000 at ucl.ac.uk>
date: <14 May 96>

You wrote on "[Q] bholantikaa, tailapaayin":

>In the Kaa"sysapasa.mhitaa, a medical text, there is a list of birds which
>includes the names "bholantikaa" and "tailapaayin".  I have an idea that
>the latter may be a bat or flying fox, rather than a bird, though I am not
>sure.  But I have so far not been able to find either of these bird names
>in the dictionaries.

Boehtlingk and Roth have "eine Art Schabe" (Sanskrit-Woerterbuch, s.v.
tailapaayin), at least the references they give point to a small animal, a
sort of vermin, insect or whatever. The commentaries to Yaajnavalkyasm.rti
3.211 have "kii.tavi"se.sa"(Mitaak.sara, Baalakrii.daa). Similar Mahabh.
3.5509 ed. Calc., I have not checked Mark.Pur. 15.23. The probably related
tailapaayikaa is to be found in Amarako.sa 2.5.26 (with "paro.s.nii" as
paryaaya). The commentaries may provide further clues. See also
"Sabdakalpadruma, s. vocibus "tailapaayikaa", "tailapaa". -- If tailapaayin
means "bird" or "flying animal" then it would be a new entry in the
dictionary.

I have no idea what concerns "bholantikaa" (hapax legomenon?).

\bye
Peter Wyzlic