Dating

Girish Beeharry gkb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Sun May 12 20:55:32 UTC 1996

Hi,

I have always wondered how people date the various texts, sites etc in
Indology. Last Friday, 10th of May, I went to a very interesting meeting
of the Royal Astronomical Society on 'Astroarcheology'. Astronomers are
very interested in the slowing down of the Earth's rotation rate and ways
of estimating that are by using the eclipses of the Sun and Moon. For
doing this, they need people (e.g. from this list) who have access to
documents on these phenomena as well as other astronomical 'signposts'
like calendars, solstices and the like.

One very curious thing about the whole meeting was that no mention was
made at all of Indological sources. Everything else has been used,
Babylonians, Greeks, Mayas, Aztecs etc. I wonder why. Are there no
documents at all on all this (ecplipses etc)? If there are, how far back
in time do any data exist?

I think that there is a good scope for cross disciplinary work on this
field. I am sure you would want to date your texts objectively with a
given uncertainty! :-)

Bye,

Girish Beeharry