Gymnosophists etc.

John Richards Jhr at elidor.demon.co.uk
Sun May 12 20:10:11 UTC 1996

> That is the problem. We do have solid evidence for the presence of
notions
> of reincarnation in Greece from the early sixth century B.C. with
> Pheracydes of Syros and then Pythagoras. Given that it is now doubtful
that
> the Upanishads can be dated so early, the presumption must surely be
that,
> if there was influence, it was from Greece to India rather than the
> converse.
>
> Lance Cousins
>
> MANCHESTER, UK
> Email: mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk

I was under the impression that it was generally agreed that the idea of
transmigration came into Greek (particularly Pythagorean) thought via
the Orphics, and that they, in turn had picked it up from Persian
sources. Bidez certainly seems to think so, but I am not too sure on
what evidence.

--
John Richards
Stackpole Elidor (UK)