Calculus (was Re: Gymnosophists etc.)

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu May 9 13:55:44 UTC 1996

	An important sourcebook for Indian contribution to mathematics,
including the contribution of Kerala mathematicians is the 1990 book "The
Crest of the Peacock, Non-European Roots of Mathematics" by George
Gheverghese Joseph, Penguin Books.  The book deals with a number of
non-western traditions including the Incas, Maya, Egypt, Babylonia,
China, India, and the Arab world.  As an introductory book it is
especially readable even to those who have relatively little background in
the high-end branches of modern mathematics.
	Madhav Deshpande