Borrowings

Anand Venkt Raman A.Raman at massey.ac.nz
Wed May 8 21:35:15 UTC 1996

Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

>I am also unaware that the Sanskrit grammarians ever made a
>synchronic/diachronic distinction beyond the primitive "bhasayam" and

It is certain that Sanskrit grammarians never made a distinction between
synchronic and diachronic aspects of language change.  It was becasuse
they all, including Panini, considered Sanskrit to be eternal and
unchanging.  According to R.E.Asher, it was this assumption that facilated
some of their breakthroughs which we are still able to learn from
today.

- &