Linguistics

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 7 10:30:52 UTC 1996

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Girish Beeharry wrote:

> 1) I have read that G. Cardona projected to write a 8 volume series on
> PaaNini's grammar; the first one being 'PaaNini, his work and its
> traditions', publ. Motilal Banarsidass(1988). How far has it now reached
> and what are the next titles please?

I think volume 1 is the only one out so far, but since Prof. Cardona
follows this forum, perhaps he will let us know more.

> 2) Has anyone on this list read MiimaaMsaka YudhishhThira's 'sanskrita
> vyaakaraNa-shaastra kaa itihaasa' (tiin bhaagoN meN puurNa) [in Hindi],
> publ. Bhaaratiiya Praachyavidyaa PratishhThaan, Ajmer (1973)? Could you
> please say whether it is a complete survey of grammatical literature?

It is a very comprehensive survey, and well worth using as a basic
reference work.

> 3) What book(s) would you recommend for someone wishing to have a good
> grasp on the subject of Sanskrit grammars, both PaaNinian and others,
> (Hindi & English preferably) please?

Start with Cardona's Panini: A Survey of Research.  Add a dash of
Belvalkar and Mimamsaka for Panini as well as the non-Paninian systems.
P-S Filliozat's _Grammaire Sanskrite Paninieenne_ (Paris: Picard, 1988) is
-- to my mind -- an almost ideal introduction to Panini as a practical
tool for doing Sanskrit grammar.

--
Dominik Wujastyk