Filliozat, Dumezil + the IE connection

Julia Leslie jl6 at soas.ac.uk
Wed May 1 12:26:42 UTC 1996

Lars Martin Fosse wrote:
>The question is: Did
>Plato "borrow" ideas from India, or do certain Indic and Platonic ideas go
>back to a common source, the Indo-European culture. ...
>Those who are interested would
>perhaps like to read the studies by Georges Dumezil, who has written
>extensively on Indo-European culture. Dumezil's theories have not been
>accepted by everybody, but even if one disagrees with him, they still make
>interesting and stimulating reading.
======================================

May I add a recent article (March 1995) by Nick Allen in which he
draws on the work of Dumezil to compare two versions -- one Greek,
one Indian -- of a hero's journey?

[My summary:]

 In the Odyssey, the hero's wanderings lead to four encounters
with female figures in addition to his relationship with Penelope,
his legal wife. In the Mahabharata, the exiled Arjuna's pilgrimage
to the holy bathing places of India leads to a parallel set of four
encounters with females in addition to his relationship with
Draupadi, his primary wife. After pointing out the major
differences between the two narratives, Allen proceeds
to tease out in precise detail the distribution of similarities.

These parallels are interesting enough, but Allen goes further.
Returning to Dumezil's three classical 'functions' or 'clusters of
ideas', he outlines his own proposition of a fourth functiion that
can be either positively valued (hence 'transcendent') or negatively
valued (hence the associations with death, destruction, demons and so
on).

He then turns to the eight types of marriage listed in the Manusmrti,
with svayamvara as the ninth, reducing the nine to five 'modes of
marriage'. As he demonstrates, these five reflect the classical three
'functions' together with both a positive and a negative value for
the fourth. Finally, he compares these five 'modes of marriage'
with the various relationships of the two epic heroes.

Allen concludes that the Proto-Indo-European corpus of oral
narratives includes the voyage of a hero who temporarily leaves his
wife and contracts four different types of liaison. He argues further
that, of the Greek and Sanskrit versions derived from this, the
Sanskrit is likely to be the more conservative, the one closer to
their common Indo-European heritage. I would add that, for studies of
Indian culture, this mythical gloss on the classical forms of
marriage is an exciting addition to the study of the 'laws' of Manu.

The above article is included in MYTH AND MYTHMAKING:
CONTINUOUS EVOLUTION IN INDIAN TRADITION,
edited by Julia Leslie (London: Curzon, 1995)
in the SOAS Collected Papers on South Asia series, no.12.

Contents:
Julia Leslie: Introduction
N.J. Allen: The Hero's Five Relationship: A Proto-Indo-European Story
Laurie L. Patton: The Fate of the Female Rsi: Portraits of Lopamudra
Renate Sohnen-Thieme: The Ahalya Story through the Ages
Lynn Thomas: Parasurama and Time
Julia Leslie: Menstruation Myths
Peter G. Friedlander: The Struggle for Salvation in the Hagiographies
of Ravidas
Indira Chowdhury-Sengupta: Reconstructing Spiritual Heroism: The
Evolution of the Swadeshi Sannyasi in Bengal
Kathleen Taylor: Arthur Avalon: The Creation of a Legendary
Orientalist
Anyone interested in brief summaries of any/all of the other articles
in the volume, just let me know.

Julia Leslie
SOAS