Filliozat

thompson at handel.jlc.net thompson at handel.jlc.net
Wed May 1 01:08:31 UTC 1996

Things being rather quiet on this list, I have been roaming, and have come
across another group discussing Lefkowitz's new book "Not Out of Africa",
which attacks, from a classicist's point of view, Afrocentric claims about
the sources of Greek culture. Very wild and very reckless discussions go on
there, mostly not very interesting or informative.  But it occurred to me
that there is a new angle that may be of interest not only to classicists
and africanists, but to indologists as well.  Unfortunately, I don't
remember specific references, but I recall that Filliozat a long time ago
made suggestions re the influence of Hindu [upaniSadic] sources on the
likes of Plato, et al.  Does anyone on this list have references to
Filliozat's claims?  And, just as important, does anyone know how
classicists have responded to such claims, if at all?
Sincerely,
George Thompson