Pali Canon Online

mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 13:49:59 UTC 1996

David Magier and Lars Fosse wrote:

>>>This is great. Many thanks for this valuable work.
>>>By the way, the URL above was listed incompletely. The full URL is:
>>>
>>>http://www.cac.psu.edu/jbe/jbe.html
>>
>>I didn't give this because it didn't work when I tested it the other day on
>>one of the two websites, but perhaps my browser was misbehaving.

I have now tested all four possibilities. The results were:
U.K.
Both http://www.gold.ac.uk/jbe/ and http://www.gold.ac.uk/jbe/jbe.html
worked fine.
U.S.
http://www.cac.psu.edu/jbe/jbe.html worked fine.
http://www.cac.psu.edu/jbe/ produced a filelist from which you could select
jbe.html, whereupon everything worted fine.

This is a different result to my previous test!

>I had the same experience. I have tried to transfer texts to my harddisk,
>but things don't work out the way they are supposed to. I get something
>down on my harddisk, but it is garbled. Any suggestions, anyone?

I have test-downloaded successfully. Some browsers seem to have problems
recognizing the extension .SEA (for self-extracting archive) and either
don't download or perhaps download as TEXT instead of binary. In such a
case it might be necessary to ensure that e.g. under helper applications
Stuffit is set to accept .SEA as well as .SIT extensions.

If you are trying to access by ftp, then the files must be downloaded in
binary mode.

We could put the files up in binhexed form so that they would download as
text, but they would be very large that way; so we are trying to avoid
that.

If none of the above covers your case, Lars, please email me with further
details.

Lance Cousins

MANCHESTER, UK
Email: mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk