Why not a definitive devnagri font

Birgit Kellner kellner at ue.ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Wed Mar 20 15:54:07 UTC 1996

Aditya Mishra wrote;

>>kellner at hws.ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp (Birgit Kellner)  has  recently
>>written as follows:
>>>Mac or Windows-users. Hence, I would strongly suggest that, until the
>>>current lcd is replaced by one which allows for Devanagari, let's stick to
>>>the present conventions.
>>That is no convention at all. We do not have any means of
>>communicating in Devnagri at all. What you propose translates into "If
>>I cannot have it my way :no one else should have it either"
>>Have a nice day.
>>---------------
>>Aditya Mishra
>>http://www.icanect.net/~aditya
??? If I cannot have it my way, no one else should have it my way either ???

Anyway, my proposition rather translates into "If not everybody can have it
(=devanagari-e-mail) in one way, it is better for all not to have it, so
that all can have at least have something (=communication in
transliteration) in some way".

As long as there is no lowest common denominator for ALL operating systems,
I'd rather stick to transliteration than restricting communication by
favouring solutions which are only possible on some operating systems, that
is, and that's all I have to say on this matter.