Right & Left

Girish Beeharry gkb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 21:02:17 UTC 1996

Hi,

I think that the question needs to be refocused. Issues raised have been
about wives' and deities positions and the difference between the North
and the South. In our tradition the wife assumes either the left or the right
position depending on the circumstances. However, I believe that the
question raised is not being answered. Would anyone please give an
explanation for the difference between the two positions described below?
Incidentally, the first shloka gives the position of lakshmana and the
marutis; would anyone please explain why they have these particular
positions? Many thanks beforehand.

dakshine lakshmaNo yasya vaame tu janakaatmajaa |
purato marutiryasya taM vande raghunandanam.h ||

sadaa bhavaanii daahine sanmukha rahe.n gaNesha |
paa.ncha deva rakshaa kare.n brahma vishhNu mahesha |

bye,

Girish Beeharry