Male Ear Rings

Kumar at pixie.udw.ac.za Kumar at pixie.udw.ac.za
Mon Mar 18 14:27:00 UTC 1996

I tend to disagree with the suggestion that it is easier to spot a
circumcised muslim.  I would have thougth it would be easier to spot a
pierced ear than to spot the circumcised spot unless one tears open the
underpant.  In any case, I did not get the impression from the earlier
writer's posting that piercing the ear by Hindus had anything to with
muslims.  The message simply says that "ear rings served practical
purpose."

Cheers

Pratap

>It was stated that:
>>3) I have heard male ear rings served a practical
>>purpose. Vijayanagar & later Nayaka times were rough.
>>In the constant warfare, those fallen on battlefields
>>were distinguished to be Hindu or Muslim
>>depending on whether his ears were pierced or not.
>>Then, cremation or burial decisions could be made.
>It is some kind of an urban myth, since the muslims were/are
>always circumcised and it was far easier to spot them than
>Hindus with pierced ears.
>Piercing of ears was custom among with long tradition and
>has nothing to do with muslims.
>Have a nice day.
>---------------
>Aditya Mishra
>http://www.icanect.net/~aditya
>The opinions expressed herein are continually mutating and*
>might have already been changed  by the time you read them*
>owing to the more recent information that became available*

Dr. P. Kumar
Department of Hindu Studies & Indian Philosophy
University of Durban-Westville
Private Bag X 54001
Durban
4000