Khajuraho oops! Indology

Mark F. Tritsch tritsch at MZDMZA.ZDV.UNI-MAINZ.DE
Wed Mar 6 14:52:17 UTC 1996

I'm one of those indologically non-qualified persons, but I'd like to
nudge along the discussion on Khajuraho. It's
always struck me that there is a big difference between the
artistically highly polished portrayals of what seems like
ritual, "consecrated" sex on the main panels of the upper walls of the
temple, and the crude representations of oral sex, bestial sex and so
on along the lower foundation walls. Isn't this intended to
distiguish divinely dedicated sex (practiced by kings and priests)
from sex for the satisfaction of animal lusts (practiced by the "ignorant
masses")? I know there's an enormous literature, and everything
has probably already been said twenty times, but are there any further
comments in this direction?

Now about the Indology List. It's a bit like Khajuraho - sublimely
elevated professional indologists up there simultaneously spouting
sanskrit slokas and penning transatlantic barbs to one another, down
here the ignorant unqualified, shooting off unoriginal comments
often without regard for common decency. Well, no, it's not
that bad, and any other way it might lose a lot of the spontaneity it
has. Perhaps a bit cocktail-party like - lots of rubbish and the
occasional nugget - but one man's nugget is another man's rubbish.

Make it a closed list to keep out the spamming. Be tough with
insulting contributions. Try to ignore the cranks. And, those of you
who know it all anyway, just smile patiently and press "delete".

Dominik, the work you do is really worthwhile and very much
appreciated by many people who never say so.

Regards,

Mark Tritsch

DR. MARK F. TRITSCH      (Tel/Fax: +49 611 691497)

Institut fuer Zoologie III
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet
55099 Mainz
Germany

Schnappschuss internationale Forschungsnachrichten
Breslauer Strasse 14 b
65203 Wiesbaden
Germany