help with siva purana?

jonathan.silk at wmich.edu jonathan.silk at wmich.edu
Mon Jun 17 14:07:34 UTC 1996

I have recently found an article in which R S Bhattacharya claims that in
Siva Purana II.5.16.11 the Buddha is referred to as yogaacaarya.  (The
article is in Purana 24 / 2 (1982): 388).  I have access only to an English
translation of the text, which suggests that, in this listing of avatara of
Vishnu, it might be Vishnu who is yogaacaarya, rather than the Buddha.  But I
am not sure.  Interlibrary Loan for some reason seems unable to find me a
copy of the Skt text.  Does someone have it at hand, and can quote me the
verse?  I would appreciate and acknowledge the help!

Many thanks!

jonathan