m.rda.mga drum

Mandakranta Bose mbose at unixg.ubc.ca
Tue Jul 30 05:35:02 UTC 1996

29.7.96
Dear Srini,
About six years ago I brought out a critical edition of a late sixteenth
century text named Nartananirnaya by Pundarika Vitthala who discusses in detail
the making of a mrdamga in chapter 2.  Pundarika Vitthala, who was a native of
Khandesh, describes the dance and music of India of his time.  I had originally
planned to send you the entire description of it but realized that it is far too long
(over 30 verses, pp.47-50 in my edition).  Hence, I am sending you this
abbreviated version of the description.
The author suggests that a mrdamga should be made with extremely mature,
dry, hard and resinous wood, such as red-sandal-wood, khadira, sirisa or bija.
Skin from the belly of a healthy goat, treated carefully in warm water, should be
used to cover both ends.  The skin should farther be treated with clarified
butter, evaporated milk, yogurt and flour.  The ends are to be fastened with a string
called dambara.  The description goes on to give detailed measurements.  If you
are interested, you might look up my book:  Nartananirnaya by Pundarika Vitthala,
ed. Mandakranta Bose, Calcutta: General Printers, 1991.  Since then the Indira
Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) has been in the process of bringing out
another edition of the same text but it is not complete yet.  My study and
translation of Nartananirnaya is in preparation.
I am not sure whether in an earlier message to you I mentioned that a
revised second edition of my 1970 book, Classical Indian Dancing:  A Glossary, was
brought out by Indian Book Centre in Delhi in 1995.  The title now runs:  The
Dance Vocabulary of Classical India.  I am editing another musicological text for
IGNCA at present.  Every music text has descriptions of instruments.  It is
interesting to note the regional variations.
I hope this communication will be useful for you.
Best wishes,

Mandakranta Bose
University of British Columbia
mbose at unixg.ubc.ca