Electronic Saamaveda.

Anshuman Pandey apandey at u.washington.edu
Sun Jul 21 19:53:58 UTC 1996

A few weeks ago I announced that I was going to begin work on creating an
electronic text of the Saamaveda. I am writing to announce to those
interested that I am doing the final input work on the project and will
have it completed by this weekend. Once I have it completed I will conduct
a quick proofreading of it and then work on inputing the accents on the
proofread work.

As I progressed through the project, one problem I encountered was
deciphering the various methods used to categorize the hymns of the
Saamaveda. I browsed through different Saamavedic texts, and found that
some texts divided the hymns into various aarchikas, kaaNDas, adhyaayaHs,
prapaaThakas, khaNDas, and dashtis, while some texts stuck to placing
hymns into kaaNDas and dashtis only. I had trouble finding material on the
standards of categorizing Saamavedic hymns, and so am at a loss as to
which system should be used. If anyone knows of such things or can provide
me with information of materials which explain the categorization methods,
I really appreciate the assistance.

Thank you.

Anshuman Pandey
University of Washington