Commentary on Tevaram

jlc at ccr.jussieu.fr jlc at ccr.jussieu.fr
Wed Jan 31 09:19:24 UTC 1996

Dear Jan,

I believe you are familiar with the edition made by the French
Institute of Pondicherry PIFI 68-1 [1984], 68-2 [1985], 68-3 [1991].

Although it is not an edition with commentary, it splits the text
into words, which allows Prof. Gros to say in his introduction:
 "Our edition is intended to be an aid to reading
  and understanding it and the considerable effort
  involved in this version, that is to say, besides
  the introduction of ponctuation, the significant use
  of spaces between words and of the hiatus, represents
  a more economical equivalent to a continuous commentary
  on each verse."

I believe you are also familiar with the english translations
(which I mention for other people's sake)
of considerable parts of Teevaaram by
 1. Indira V. Peterson,
              _Poems to S'iva,
              The Hymns of the Tamil saints_,
               Original edition: 1989; Princeton
               Indian edition: 1991; Motilal Banarsidass
 2.  David D. Shulman
              _Songs of the harsh devotee,
              The Teevaaram of Cuntaramuurtinaayan_aar_
              1990, University of Pennsylvania

When it comes to commented editions, I can mention
the Dharmapura Aadinam edition which seems to cover
all the Tirumur_ai (I only have the volumes for
the 4th [1957] and the 9th [1969]).

But may be someone else can add more information

Best wishes

- Jean-Luc Chevillard
  (CNRS, Universite' Paris7)