Seminar Abstracts

Kamal Adhikary kamal at link.lanic.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 29 17:42:41 UTC 1996

Dear Colleagues:
	The Asian Studies at the University of Texas schedules Japan
Seminar,
China Seminar, South Asia Seminar in Fall and Spring Semesters.

Led by different faculty members, these three seminars exist to
promote open discussion on different aspects of the culture,
economy, politics, philosophy, religion, government policies,
history, demography, environment, or other selected topics for
Japan, China, and South Asia.

The seminars are open to all interested faculty members, students,
and the general public.

Available abstracts of all talks and lectures are posted on the Asian
Studies Web page (http://asnic.utexas.edu/asnic/index.html) after each
talk or lecture.  Below are some abstracts  from last semester's South Asia
seminar sessions.  This semester I will be posting the abstracts as soon
as they are available.  I hope they will be of interest to some of you.

				*******

			SEMINAR ABSTRACTS

		SOMNOLENT SUTRAS: SCRIPTURAL COMMENTARY
 			IN SVETAMBARA  JAINISM

                                   BY

                             PAUL DUNDAS

                      DEPARTMENT OF SANSKRIT

                     UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH

                                ABSTRACT

   (Note: a full version of this paper will be published in
"Journal of Indian Philosophy")

Scholarly approaches to traditional Indian commentary have
generally turned around its success or failure in mirroring the supposed
intentions of the author of the root text from which it derives or,
alternatively, have addressed the various hermeneutic strategies used
 by commentators. Little attention has been given to the
alternative issue of the actual status of commentary with South Asian
scriptural traditions as an institution, the extent to which
 it can be regarded as representing a text as well as  explaining it and
to the fact that commentary has on occasion itself achieved canonicity.

The purpose of this paper is to address the issue of how certain
prominent Svetambara Jain intellectuals in the medieval period viewed the
nature of scriptural commentary. Specifically, it focuses upon Svetambara
Jainism's greatest exegete, Abhayadeva Suri  (eleventh century) and a
later figure, Dharmasagara Upadhyaya (sixteenth century), its
greatest sectarian polemicist. A clear linkage between the  two can be
seen in their mutual reiteration of the claim, based on etymological
sleight of hand, by an earlier Jain scholar, Jinabhadra Ganin (sixth century)
 that a sutra without some sort of commentarial explication
is equivalent to somebody who is asleep.

A broad contextualisation of the four main styles of traditional Jain
scriptural exegesis (niryukti, curni, bhasya and vrtti) shows that it is
strongly predicated  upon the acceptance of meaning as being superior to
word. At the same time, scriptural exegesis also was regarded as a means
of conferring merit upon those who studied or heard it and, as such,
was associated by exegetes with that compassion which informs the Jain
conception of true religiosity. Gradually, from about the seventh century
or so, Jain commentary becomes a necessary component part of
authoritative scripture, rather than a mere ancillary to it.

The hagiographies of the commentator Abhayadeva (in particular, the
version of the thirteenth century Prabhavacandra in his Prabhavakacarita)
exemplify a variety of themes: the connection of correct exegesis with
bodily health, the necessity of access to a source of elevated authority
(in this case, the tirthankara Simandhara) and the  increasing obscurity of
Ardhamagadhi Prakrit. That Abhayadeva himself was aware of the
indispensable role of commentary can be seen in this approving citation
in his commentary on the Sthananga Sutra of Jinabhadra's derivation of
the term sutta from supta, asleep.

A consideration of Dharmasagara's exegetical manual, the
Sutravyakhynavidhisataka, shows that this monk adopted a particularly
radical attitude to canonical texts. For him, scripture on its own is
valueless. Without the mediating aid of commentary which can only
be carried out by properly initiated ascetics, an exclusively sutra -
derived standpoint will lead only to heresy.

In conclusion, it is shown that medieval views about the status of
commentary still have relevance in recent times within the Jain ascetic
and scholarly community in respect of the vexed topic of how scripture
should be presented and edited.

**************
THE DIALECTICAL CONSTRUCTION OF HINDUISM: Uses of the Veda in
            Modern Discourse on "Hinduism" and Indian National Identity
			-------BRIAN K. SMITH

(BRIAN K. SMITH is Professor in the Department of Religious Studies at
the University of California, Riverside. He is the author of Reflections
on Resemblance, Ritual, and Religion (New York: Oxford University Press,
1989), and of Classifying the Universe: The Ancient varna System and the
Origins of Caste (New York: Oxford University Press, 1994). His
articles have appeared in such academic journals as Religion, History of
Religions,  Numen, The Journal of the American Academy of Religion, The
Journal of the American Academy of Religion, Contributions to Indian
Sociology, Indo-Iranian Journal, and Man. He is also co-producer of
"Burning Bridges" an 18 minute sampler documentary on
Hindu-Muslim relations in India.)

--Abstract

The construction of modern representations of Indian religion and
national and cultural identity was not, as Edward Said and others might
have it, a one-way imposition of Orientalist discourse on Asian
realities, but rather the product of a dialectical interaction
between the West and India. One possibility for a "research agenda for
the next generation" is to carry out a post-Saidian task of analyzing
Indic materials in such a way that a) acknowledges the inevitable and
inescapable representational quality of all such scholarship
about India, but also b) takes seriously and integrates the Indian
contributions to the formation of those representations. In this paper I
attempt to illustrate the dialectical character of East-West discourse by
concentrating on the place of the Veda and the ancient
Indian past in recent constructions of "Hinduism" and Indian National and
cultural identity. While some have contended that both "Hinduism" and
conceptions of "India" that rely heavily on appropriations and
representations of the Indic past for their modern contours are
derivative products originating in the West and superimposed upon (and
later assimilated by) South Asians, it is my contention that what we have
here are very good examples of a give-and-take process in which both
indigenous and foreign parities participated.

*******************

	RECOGNIZING THE DRAVIDIAN CONTRIBUTION TO INDIAN
           CIVILIZATION: AN AGENDA FOR THE FUTURE

               Andre F. Sjoberg
      Department of Asian Studies
       University of Texas at Austin

(Andre F. Sjoberg is Associate Professor in the Department of Asian
Studies at the University of Texas at Austin. Her publications include
"Who are the Dravidians?" in Andre F. Sjoberg (ed.), Symposium on
Dravidian Civilization)

As the title of the paper suggests, my discussion focuses on the
Dravidian component in Indian civilization, though time constraints make
it necessarily brief. I am fully aware that this topic is a controversial
one, though it seems less so today than when I first ventured
into it several decades ago. For one thing, there has been an ongoing
re-examination and re-evaluation of Indian history, particularly with
respect to the colonial period. Edward Said's Orientalism, published in
1978, has had an unmistakable impact on scholarship pertaining to
colonialism in India. More recent works, such as Breckenridge and van der
Veer's edited book Orientalism and the Postocolonial Predicament (1993),
have dealt specifically with South Asia , as have a number of journal
articles on orientalism.  However, so far as I can determine, there has
been no systematic effort to investigate  the early period in Indian
history--soon after Aryan conquest--from the perspective of  the
conquered peoples: in other words, from a bottom-up rather than a
top-down approach. Sheldon Pollock's phrase "indigenous 'orientalism'"
(see his chapter in Breckenridge and  van der Veer, pp. 107-08) may be
very apt here.

A second factor in the shifting perspective on Indian cultural history is
the increasing attention being directed to the non-Indo-European
component in areas of Indo-European settlement other than India. The
best-known major work is Martin Bernal's Black Athena (Vol. 1, 1987; Vol.
2, 1991). That this detailed examination of non-Indo-European features
in Greek civilization--mainly, Egyptian and Semitic--would elicit
hostitlity amon classicists is hardly surprising . Still, whatever one's
assessment of Bernal's scholarship, which draws evidence from
archaeology, linguistics, and cultural history, it is clear that he has
dramatically recast the framework for scholarly enterprise on classical
Greece. He has also been increasingly gaining respect in some
well-established intellectual circles (see the special issue of Isis
(December 1992) on the origins of Greek science).

Although my efforts are minor compared to the almost monumental
researching of Bernal, we are both seeking to counter what we see as an
overly strong Europeanist bias in the traditional interpretations of the
development of particular civilizations in areas of Indo-European
settlement and culutral dominance.