collyrium stick// Guru Gita vs. 34

Peter Gaeffke pgaeffke at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 31 03:37:55 UTC 1996

Dear Dr. Kellner

Tulsidas (1532-1608?) in his Ramacaratimasa writes (1.6)

"When a student or an experienced master of magic put a potent magic
ointment (suanjana) in his eye,

the see sees a marvelous spectacle: numerous treasures hidden in
mountains, forests, and in the earth"

Nusrati (17th ct.) writes in his Gulshan-i 'ishq (1033)

When you show me the way and I can find this magic eye ointment (anjan),
then in my eyes this treasure will appear"

said about a dervish who is difficult to find.

In these mathnawis there appears also forest called Kajali about which I
have written in JAOS 109, p.529
Sincerely
Peter Gaeffke
Philadelphia