South Asia Seminar at UT Austin

Kamal Adhikary kamal at link.lanic.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 25 17:02:09 UTC 1996

Dear collegues,
	The following a schedule of South Asian Seminar to be held at the
University of Texas at Austin.  Although very few of you will be able to
attend the seminar, I will be posting all the abstracts of the talks whenever
available.

University of Texas at Austin
Center for Asian Studies
1996 South Asia Seminar Schedule

Last updated 1/23/96

February 1
Dr. Wilhelm Halbfass
South Asia Regional Studies
University of Pennsylvania
"Orientalism and Beyond"

February 8
Dr. Gail Minault
History Department
University of Texas at Austin
"Violating the Red Fort: Ritual Boundaries of Sovereignty in Late Mogul
and Early British India"

February 15
Dr. John Hawley
Department of Religion
Barnard College
"Bhakti Studies in an Age of Hindu Nationalism"

February 22
Dr. Phyllis Granoff
Religious Studies
McMaster University
"Rama's Bridge: The Poetry of Sacred Space"

February 29
Dr. David Shulman
Institute for Advance Studies
Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel
	"A Science of Mood: Telugu Poetry from Tirupati and
Kalahasti"

March 7
Dr. Madhav Deshpande
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
University of Michigan
"Changing Grammars of Changing Texts: Understanding the
Transmission of the Vedas"
March 21
Dr. Kirin Narayan
Anthropology Department
University of Wisconsin
	"The Place of Stories: India, Research, Writing"

March 28
Dr. Cynthia Talbot
History Department
University of Texas at Austin
	"History, Ethnicity, and Identity:  Who is Indian"?

April 4
Dr. Rodney Moag
Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin
	"South Asian Diasporic Studies:  Issues and Desiderata"

April 25
Dr. John Richards
Department of History
Duke University
	"Early Modern Indian and World History"

Very soon I will be posting two articles by two prominent
anthropologists/linguists.  These articles will be interesting to some of
you.
Thanks.
kamal

Kamal R. Adhikary, Ph.D. Internet Coordinator, Asian Studies
UT, Austin, Texas 78712
Tel:512-475-6034
Email:kamal at asnic.utexas.edu