collyrium stick// Guru Gita vs. 34

Birgit Kellner kellner at ue.ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 26 16:48:51 UTC 1996

At 15:45 26/01/96 GMT, you wrote:

>The normal name for an eye-salve in Sanskrit medicine is a~njana, and it
>is often translated as "collyrium".  (Another Skt. term is kajjala.)
>
>A~njana is discussed extensively in the Sanskrit medical literature.
>There are several kinds of a~njana, and several forms of eye-disease for
>which it is recommended.

I use the opportunity to jump on the trail - I recently came across the
expression _a~njanavi'ses.a_ in the following context:

asti ca niraalokasyaapi ruupasya dar'sana* kai'scit  | tenaapi vaa
sam.bhaavyam a~jjanavi'ses.aadineti sattocchede tu niyama evety ados.ah. |
(J~naana'sriimitra, Anupalabdhirahasya, in J~naana'sriimitranibandhaavali,
ed. Anantalal Thakur 1987, p. 187, l.24f.)

The argument supposedly runs as follows: In the preceding paragraph, J. gave
a definition of a certain _niyama_, equalling one type of incompatibility
(virodha):. niyama's ca sattaabaadhane eva 'bhaava = "the restriction
obtains that (one object) is only absent when (its) existence is obstructed
(by that of another object)". An opponent questions its validity, by
pointing out to several exceptions.

J. answers that the definition was not given with reference to a particular
cognizing subject, but in general. Thus, he says: "There are some who can
see colour even without light [this is a reference to Dharmakiirti's
Pramaan.avini'scaya, chapter I]. Or else, one has to assume even this/this
(perception?colour?), too, as (having?) _a~njanavi'ses.a_ etc."

Is there any usage of _a~njana_ in medical literature which could make sense
in this context? Help, as usual, would be greatly appreciated,