collyrium stick// Guru Gita vs. 34

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jan 26 15:29:25 UTC 1996

Bridgman at aol.com said:
> It translates:  Salutations to that Shree Guru, by whom with the collyrium
> stick of knowledge, the eyes of one who is blinded by the darkness of
> ignorance, are opened.

The normal name for an eye-salve in Sanskrit medicine is a~njana, and it
is often translated as "collyrium".  (Another Skt. term is kajjala.)

A~njana is discussed extensively in the Sanskrit medical literature.
There are several kinds of a~njana, and several forms of eye-disease for
which it is recommended.

In the A.s.taa"ngah.rdayasa.mhitaa (Ah., Su.23.10), three kinds of a~njana
are described, and one of them is explicitly characterized as
"d.r.s.tiprasaadana", i.e., it makes your vision clear.  I am sure this
is the metaphor the Gurugita is using.  "Salutations to that Shree Guru,
who uses the Optrex of spiritual knowledge to clear the vision someone
who is blind ignorant."

The Ah. goes on (verses 12, 13) to describe the metal stick, ten
a"ngulas long, with which the a~njana is applied.  If the aim is to
clear the vision (as opposed to scarification or soothing), the
application stick should be made of silver or gold.

Dominik

--

Dominik Wujastyk,
Wellcome Institute,

FAX: +44 171 611 8545
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk

For my PGP public key etc., see my WWW home page:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/wujastyk.html