Jain religion in a scientific perspective (fwd)

Amardeep Salgia asalgia at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 15 20:27:18 UTC 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 14:19:15 -0600 (CST)
From: Amardeep Salgia <asalgia at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu>
To: jain-list at wavefront.com
Subject: Re: Jain religion in a scientific perspective

Last December, someone inquired about sources on "Jain religion in a
scientific perspective".  Though I do not know if Jung deals with
Jainism in any of his works, there are several sources which together form
an exellent introduction to the scientific laudability of Jain cosmology
and psychology.

The book "Cosmology: Old and New" by the late Prof. G.R. Jain (Bharatiya
Jnanpith, 1974) is an analysis of the fifth chapter of
Acharya Umasvati's "Tattvartha Sutra".  Sentence by sentence, he explains
the definitions of the Prakrit words and incorporates material from three
other ancient works:  the "Dravya Samgraha", "Sarvartha Siddhi", and
"Panchastikaya Sara".  He puts them through severe scrutiny in light of
modern physics, and exposes many unique elements of Jain cosmology that are
quite accurate, and indicative of their having origins in something much
greater than mere philosophical speculation.  For myself, it has been a most
influential work.

Another book is "Neuroscience & Karma:  The Jain Doctrine of
Psycho-Physical Force" by Prof. Jethalal S. Zaveri and Muni Mahendra
Kumar (Jain Vishva Bharati Institute, 1992).  The former author has
also written "Microcosmology: Atom in Jain Philosophy and Modern
Science".  I am currently reading the first book, which appears to be
a take off on some of G.R. Jain's postulates regarding karma-pudgal
and the electromagnetic field that arises due to electical activity of the
nervous system.  While we generally think of karma as the influx or
shedding of material particles, both Jain and Zaveri show that in the
Jain texts themselves primarily the word "karma-pudgal" is used, where
pudgal denotes the continuum of matter and energy.  The publisher of
these two works, Jain Vishva Bharati Institute, is addressed at
"Ladnun - 341306 (Rajasthan, India)".

While many scholars of an anthropological background have contented
themselves in styling Jain cosmology and psychology as philosophical
developments of primitive anxieties regarding "environmental instabillity"
and notions of birth, death, "good" and "bad", an individual of a
scientific or engineering background would certainly hesitate to
treat them as such.  One important point for all those interested
in exploring Jainism's cosmology and psychology is that the Jain
texts which have preserved this knowledge are very explicit.  The
Acharyas of centuries ago said exactly what they meant, and we do
not have to fabricate fancy translations of words, like some
Vedantin Hindus and scientific creationists do.

--
Amar Salgia
URH 224 Townsend
asalgia at uiuc.edu