Bhatts

RKSarin at aol.com RKSarin at aol.com
Mon Jan 15 12:30:32 UTC 1996

While researching Bhatts (minstrels/bards) I found the following verse
attributed to the Rai Bhats of Gurgaon:
"Hamin That, Hamin Bhatt, Hamin Bhaunra, Hamin Bhagi,
Hamin bir Betal, Hamin jangal ke jogi,
Kapra pharen mang karar bandh mandar aren
Betal kahen Bikram suno dev dan kirat karen" (from Rose: Glossary of Tribes &
Castes of Punjab & NW Frontier Province)

Apparently Betal was a medieval poet (probably a Bhatt).  But I can't help
thinking of the Baital Pachisi of Vikramaditya esp. since Bikram's name is
mentioned in the last line.  Does anyone know if there is a connection
between Bhatts and Vikramaditya?  My direct E-mail is amitasarin at aol.com