Veda's demise at NY Hinduja Ctr.

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 29 11:35:41 UTC 1996

ACHARB at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU said:
> Read these:
>
> Monier-Williams: "I must draw attention to the fact that I am only the second
>
> H. H. Wilson was the first occupant of the Boden Chair of Sanskrit. The reason
>
> The scholarly tradition goes on...
> _Narahari Achar

Dear Narahari Achar,

I'm afraid that your lack of professional involvement in
university-level indological studies means that you are unaware of the
history of Sanskrit studies in Britain.  The above quotations from
Williams and Wilson do not reflect either their own wider views and
concerns, nor are such views in any way a tradition, let alone one that
"goes on".

For an excellent account of the debate surrounding the founding of the
Boden chair at Oxford, see the inaugural lecture by Prof. Richard
Gombrich, published by OUP in the 1980s some time.  It may be available
at your local indology department library.

Dominik Wujastyk