[Query] Was Sanskrit ever spoken by "all"?

Sreenivas Paruchuri sreeni at ktp.uni-paderborn.de
Wed Feb 21 07:51:49 UTC 1996

Greetings!

I have a couple of questions on the evolution of language(s) in todays India.

a) Was Sanskrit spoken by the common folk also in olden days? I mean other
than the priests and the elite (?) in the society?

b) If not, what did the common folk speak?

Could you pl. recommend me some monographs/publications on this subject!

Herzlichen Dank!

mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Sreenivas