your mail

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 20 17:43:42 UTC 1996

Since "-&" put me up to this, I'll just throw in my 2 cents worth on
chronograms:

-Some other good lists of words used in chronograms are D.C. Sircar's
Indian Epigraphy, ppl.230-3; Bu:hler's Indian Paleography, pp. 84-86
(of the first English edition, in Indian Antiquary 33); and P.V. Kane's
History of Dharmasastra vol. V, pt.1, pp. 701-3.

-Chronograms are normally read in reverse order (ankaanaam vaamato
gati.h), but there are occasional cases in which they have to be read in
normal sequence; see e.g. Epigraphia Indica 34, p.178.

-Just as a curiosity, in Java I saw an example of a visual chronogram at
the Sultan's palace in Jogjakarta, which gave the date of construction
(in Saka era) in the form of a scultured ornament of a snake, etc., with
implied numerical values (I don't remember the details offhand).  I think
that this visual rendition of chronograms may have been a common practice in
Indonesia, but I don't know of any Indian examples.

-RS